Monday 31 July 2017

The elusive ice cream...and an update.

We finally made it! We finally got to the beach for an ice cream!
My head shouts "Dont be ridiculous, of course you can get to the beach for an ice cream!" But here's the back story.
On Thursday the weather was glorious. We decided to drive to Poldhu as it is a really accessivle beach and thwy have the best coffee. We drive over, only to find that even with a blue badge there was absolutely NO WHERE to park. Couldnt even park on the double yellows as they all had no stopping signs on them.
So we drove back towards home (I have to admit to having a really bad attitiude at this point!) and decided to stop at Praa sands for an ice cream. We parked up, walked down the steps to the Beachcomber cafe and got in the queue. We saw a friend and started chatting and suddenly...chaos. In the middle of a long queue Immi went into full blown Tonic Clonic seizure, out on the floor, wet, the works. It was a long one...5 minutes. The sort that seems to go on forever and then she finally starts to come.out and trues to stand and then drops back in again. Loads of people offered to help and the owners kindly let us use their bathroom when she was finally able to move. We sorted her out, climbed the steps (Murray had gone to get the car) and drive home. Immi spent the rest of the day on the sofa.
Fast forward to today, the first day since with no rain. Murray is at work and we were in the house. Anyone who knows me knows that I dont do well being stuck in the house. But I realised I have also begun to be really nervous taking Immi out on my own. She wanted to go to the park with the dog, but coping with the dog and her during a seizure is just too much. She had quite a large seizure at about 10am so I bathed her and washed her hair afterwards and then we finally thought about the day. Most people in Britain go out between the showers. I feel like we aim to go out between the seizures! Having had one already I wrote to Murray and told him how I felt; trapped but nervous. He suggested we try Praa sands for an ice cream again. So I gathered my couragr (and the emergency bag!) and we set off. There is a shop in Praa Sands called R and J Supplies. It is a fun place with lots to look at. They have lots of flamingo things at the moment so Immi wanted to have a look. We decided to buy a couple of things, but theit card machine wasn't working so we popped next door into the Post Offic3 to get out some cash. I was just in the process of getting my cash when she went into another seizure. Again like the firat one today 5 minutes with dropping in and out...and wet. They didnt have a loo so when she was finally able to walk I put her into the car -wet and decided on our next move. I wasnt going to give up again so... There is a caravan site nearby that we use off season as rhey have a pool open to locals, so I drove up there and they kindly let us use their disabled toilet.
Finally we were able to drive down the hill again, pay for parking and get the elusive ice cream! The beach is lovely today, and its warm. It was worth it!

Finally, many of you have asked how Immi is now, post surgery. She is ok, the hair left in the middle falls both sides and hides the wounds and shaved parts so that is good and the wounds are all healing well. Just lots of seizure activity continuing.


No comments:

Post a Comment