Friday 14 July 2017

A Big Week - Day five

Its all about attitiude. I can either sit here and feel sorry for myself, for Immi, for how life is, or I can allow myself to be positioned in a place where I am available to others and despite being in a ward most of the time, to be there for the one.
Last night was one of those times. I went off to Ronald McDonald house, watched last Sunday's Poldark(!), listened to some music and then settled down for an early night in a peaceful bedroom. I fell asleep quickly and had been asleep for about 4 hours when a tremendous hammering on the door broke through. In my half asleep/half awake state I wondered if I had missed an alarm and needed to get out but it was a lady knocking the door down shouting help very loudly. I stumbled to the door and she desparately cried "please help, he's having a seizure!" It turned out that not only did she have a son in ICU but her partner (a big chap) had epilepsy and was seizing badly and making noise that he normally didn't.  I went next door with her (even having the presence of mind to remember my card key...quite impressed myself at 1.30am!!) and just kept him safe, asked the normal epilepsy questions about length of seizure, care plan, had he taken meds etc. Due to being with their son the dad had missed some meds so it wasnt a surprise he was fitting, so we stayed calm, waited, refused the offer from another lady to call an ambulance (last thing the poor young mum needed was one in the children's and one in the general hospital miles away from each other!) and within the 5 minute window he started to come round.

we can be available for others whatever our circumstances

I sat with the young mum and told her a little of why I was here. Her response was "I knew I knocked on the right door!" It humbles me that we are placed to have purpose beyond our own understanding and we can be available whatever our circumstances. Let's be available.
The irony though is not lost on me...Immi still has had no more seizures. Normally this is our greatest wish. This week however, we need some seizure activity....starting to drop some meds out to try and cause this to happen...watch this space. Xxx

5 comments:

  1. Your an inspiration, sending love and wishes for enough results xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW ! So blessed we are. So truly blessed. Thank you Jesus ! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. You. Are. An. Amazing. Family. All of you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspirational indeed. Still in there praying!

    ReplyDelete