Friday 26 April 2013

SEN and Supply teaching

This week has been a busy one (hence no entries - sorry).  It has been made particularly busy by the fact that I was offered a few supply slots in a couple of different schools.

Imogen has also had a supply teacher in her class this week and has found it tough.  So I write this entry from both sides of the teaching/parent line....

 It takes Imogen a lot of time to get used to a routine, especially a challenging one like main stream school.  School is sadly not her favourite place in the world, however, in the main she manages and doesn't moan too much. But then suddenly there is a different teacher for a lesson, a day or maybe a few days and it completely throws her, bringing stress crashing down around her.
Supply teachers nowadays generally follow the plan that has been left by the class teacher (which means far less thinking on your feet - hurray!) But they obviously do not do things in exactly the same way as the class teacher, or have the systems set up for giving out, collecting in, how they do a particular task etc set up the same.  It is these small changes that Imogen really struggles with.  Last week a supply teacher was introduced to Imogen's maths group on Thursday. He will do each Thursday maths lesson for the next few weeks.  His first mistake??  Being male!!!  This integral part of being was a problem for the Autistic part of Imogen!  The second issue - being a stranger!  Now, we have explained to her many times that everyone is a stranger until you meet them, but in Imogen's mind this is definitely a black mark upon his name and unless there have been proper introductions her remains a stranger that should not be talked to!
Apparently, both last week, and this, Imogen didn't last much longer than 15 minutes in the class before her TA needed to take her out as she had got herself so worked up that she couldn't process the maths tasks that she would normally be able to do easily.  I am thankful for a wonderful TA who is able to tell when things are getting too much and take her to a quiet work area before she gets into trouble.  We talked it over on the phone afterwards and The TA, Immi and the supply teacher are going to sit down and have proper introductions before class next time, so hopefully things will improve.  So hard for Imogen - the stress of knowing that she didn't have her normal teacher on Thursday had a huge impact on Wednesday evening, her sleep that night and getting ready for school Thursday morning.  It seems somewhat like the iceberg; we only see about 20% of an iceberg, the rest is lurking unseen, under the water.  I think it is like that with Imogen; school, friends, clubs, church, probably all only really see about 20% of her difficulties.  The stress, the lack of sleep the needing to regress to cope at the end of the day, seizures, nausea, remains unseen by most - she manages amazingly well, I am proud of her.

As for me, I guess the silver lining (if you can call it that, in looking for the positive) for other SEN children, is that when I walk into a class of children that I don't know I am more aware now of the differing needs.  If I am told 'we have a child with Autism' I know straight away that it would be best if I go and introduce myself before the class arrive, and if possible make sure the parents know my name the day before so that they can prepare and keep reminding the child 'Remember, It will be Mrs Golder today, not Mrs X'.  If I am in the school earlier in the week in a different class I make a point of going to meet the child.   I automatically know now to ask if he has a visual timetable, weighted cushion, certain routines.  I know to give him choices rather than force an issue, spot the warning signs of a building meltdown and hopefully intervene rather than demand something is done in a certain way.
Or if there is a child with ADHD - I know I need to break it down into even smaller bite size chunks, be over liberal with the praise and stickers, allow them space to go and walk around if they are looking fidgety, be more aware if the rain is drumming on the roof or hand dryers are blowing.
Knowing the stress that having a supply teacher brings to Imogen, I am thankful that I can be an 'aware' supply teacher to other children who struggle with similar stresses and I urge any supply teachers out there, please don't forget that there are children who don't cope well with change - they are not necessarily 'naughty' children, they just need a bit of understanding - and, if you don't know anything about ASD, ADHD, etc - get in touch!!



2 comments:

  1. My goodness. Poor Immi and Supply teacher. Hopefully he will be more aware going forward. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness. Poor Immi and Supply teacher. Hopefully he will be more aware going forward. X

    ReplyDelete