Friday 19 April 2013

Hama bead hell!

I am sure that many parents will identify with me (not just those of special needs kids) when I say Hama beads are a nightmare!  They are a blessing and a curse.  Love 'em and hate 'em!

Imogen, bless her (!) can concentrate for hours on Hama beads.  I learned very early on, that you decant a few into a pot for her to use otherwise the whole 1 litre tub (from IKEA) of beads ends up over the floor as she digs around for the right colour.

 I then soon progressed onto the 'do the whole thing on a tray' idea.  Trying to contain the spread, like a contagious disease, of Hama bead infestation spreading through the house!

Three days ago she started a coaster.  She sat at the kitchen table placing all her beads onto the tiny little spikes, concentrating and working hard to find the right colours to finish off her pattern.  The finished coaster would make a 10x10cm square and she worked diligently to finish her masterpiece,  (even through breakfast when she should have been eating - but that's another story!)  She finished and moved onto a heart with concentric hearts of different (clashing) colours coming from the centre.  
Before she went to bed that night she asked Murray if he would iron them to make the whole pattern into one solid sheet which would hold together.  He said he would.  The following evening she asked me if I would iron the square and the heart to make them into solid sheets which would hold together!  The following evening, she had a jolt and knocked the tray flying.  Hama beads went everywhere, and the two shapes as yet un-ironed flew all over the place.
OH THE GUILT!
How awful did I feel!  Both of us had promised to iron the shapes and both us had failed to do so and now all the time, effort and hard work Immi had put in had been ruined.  Yes, I spent the next hour (yes, a whole hour!) making a square coaster and heart shape!  They are now sat on the tray opposite me (as yet un-ironed) but at least back to the form that they were in when left by Immi.  I wouldn't mind if this was a one off occassion, but no!  This has happened many times!! You would think we would have learned by now - you place the beads, you iron the beads - IMMEDIATELY!
Anyway, I'm off now.....to get the iron out!

1 comment: