Tuesday 2 April 2013

Autism Awareness....extra thought needed!

Well, It is the 2nd of April.  That means it is Autism Awareness day!
Have you seen the blue buildings lit up around the world?  The Sydney Opera House and Empire State Building are among those lighting up blue this year to help raise awareness and understanding of Autism.
Sydney Opera House Lit up Blue for Autism Awareness


So it seems fitting that I mention something that happened recently that was made an 'interesting' experience by Immi's Autism.

We have some Canadian friends, and the other day they were reminiscing about how much they were missing Ice hockey (just hockey to them, they don't mention the ice apparently).  We had been meaning to take our son for over a year as he had wanted to go to watch our local team the Nottingham Panthers.  So this seemed like the perfect opportunity.  So I merrily got online and booked us all tickets to go to the semi-finals.  I did have a moment of doubt just before I clicked 'buy' - 'Is Imogen going to cope with this??'  but suddenly it was too late, the button was pressed!

After buying the tickets I started getting a bit worried.  Had I done the wrong thing? Was it going to be too much?  I am in a great facebook group called 'World of Autism - making it a positive one', so I got on there and asked a few members from around the world what it would be like.  The advice was good, many people mentioned the noise and the cold, (with light being another aspect to watch out for).
So Sunday came.  It was Easter Sunday and we had had a full on baptismal (the full dunking malarky) service, Imogen had been bouncing (no ADHD meds at the weekend!) and by the end of the service she had gone very pale.  We got home at 2pm needing to leave again at 3.  Imogen by this time was very strongly stating she was NOT going out again, she was getting in her bunny suit and watching a DVD, and NOTHING was going to move her!
I was starting to get that feeling you get when your goals get blocked, you all know it, it's called anger - or if you want to feel a little better about yourself, frustration!  I could feel it rising in me and although I was trying to stay calm I could see almost £30 going down the drain and yet another family afternoon ruined. I did not give her the option of getting in her bunny suit, but instead briskly put her in warm clothes and bundled her into the car.  I was prepared, I had ear defenders (and ear plugs) I had sun glasses.  I had snacks, I had drink and I had her normal emergency bag with change of clothes etc. My Facebook status read

"
OK I am now beginning to worry about the wisdom of taking Immi to an ice hockey match after a full on amazing service this morning. Ear defenders - check, sunglasses - check, cuddly toy - check, snack and drink - check, sanity - now where did I put that?!"

We arrived smoothly and although busy, she was coping ok.  However I had forgotten her problem with sitting next to strangers, but with a bit of seat juggling we were settled. She didn't want her ear defenders apparently... but then, it started, the noise increased ten fold and suddenly she wasn't coping.  I have never been so thankful for a pair of red ear defenders!  We did have a tearful few minutes in the middle when I wondered if I was going to have to take her home, the seats never have much room, so it was a bit of a squeeze sitting with a 9 year old on my lap, but from then on, things were actually pretty smooth. We were probably in the noisiest area with the Scottish opposition fans right next to us (my poor Scottish husband didn't know where his loyalties lay!) but she did well.  It was a hard day for Imogen, and I don't think I will be taking her to Ice hockey again in the near future (I would go again though!), but she coped through the day, no major meltdowns, no epileptic fits and no falls, apart from when she fell exhausted into bed at the end of the day!


1 comment:

  1. Well done, Immi, for coping so well and well done, Karen, for taking her and coping so well! From my unexperienced viewpoint, I would think it is good to try new experiences occasionally, as long as you are well prepared - which you were. Then you know,as you do now, whether you can do it again or avoid it.

    ReplyDelete