Friday 11 September 2020

Op news - How do I feel?

So the call came. The call we had been waiting for but hadn’t expected. Especially not today. Today, Boris was announcing more Covid controls not less. Today the R value is increasing not lowering. So we weren’t expecting the call today. My brain stopped working, my neocortex couldn’t work for the day and my limbic system took charge - I was somewhere between fight and freeze I think, but unable to make decisions.

'How do you feel?' I was asked. Or 'you must be please,' or excited, was offered. I knew I didn’t feel either excited or pleased. All I felt was scared. Petrified. This is not a normal op. This is not a run of the mill operation.

Hemispherotomy: A hemispherotomy is an operation that disconnects the cerebral hemisphere - one half of the brain - from the other without removing it.

There will be deficits, visual, cognitive and motor. We are making a swap. She will lose some eyesight on the right hand side of both eyes she can lose up to half, she will be partially blind. Her hand will go from dystonic with no control, to spastic still with no control. Speech and cognition remain to be seen - they can't say at this point- and she will need to learn to walk again. There will be months, possibly years, of physio and rehab which I admit I am fearful of as she’s not the most motivated at the best of times. I’m not sure what I will use as a reward, to bribe her to work hard at it. I’m fearful she will just give up if it’s hard work.


These deficits will happen whether the op works or not. They are hoping the op will lower or stop seizures but they give percentage approximations not known quantities. This is scary. I want to not do it. No mother wants to put their child through this. I want to stay in the known....Until I see her suffering in the known.  The daily seizures the days of prolonged sleep which curtail her life. The daily incontinence and her feelings post-seizure where she laments at being wet and feeling awful. The fear she has of going to sleep because she knows she is going to seize at some point. When I consider the known I want different for her. And this is the only door offered that could bring change.

It feels like a nightmare I wish I could wake from and suddenly find my daughter is able bodied, happy and fully cognitive with a raft of GCSEs awarded to her for her bright future. But it’s not a dream. We have to go through this. We have to make this gut wrenching decision. I want to feel blessed that we have this option. But right now I feel more like: damned if we do, damned if we don’t. I know this comes from a place of fear and I don’t want to give into fear. I want to make the right decision with her and for her.  

To be honest it feels like there is little choice.  We have prayed for years, we have tried many drugs and combinations of, we have tried the ketogenic diet under the dietician.  The national team are telling us this is their recommendation and there is no other direction.  I just wish we didn't have to face it.  If you are a praying person, we value prayer for resilience over this time before hand as the option to pull out is there! And also during, as only one parent is allowed in the hospital with her which is going to be tough. And of course, for this op to be a success. 

The date we have been given for admission is the beginning of November. and I will aim to keep you updated on Immi's journey as time goes on. 





6 comments:

  1. Wow. Big news. I'm praying for you guys - the 4 of you. It's a huge thing to be facing, and the ramifications of doing it or not. You have a great team of experts behind you with this. You also know the Great Physician. I'm praying you know His comfort tonight and in the days to come, so you can think rationally and deal with the emotions you are facing right now. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen you know I am not a religious person but you will all be in my thoughts. Little Immie wishes Big Immi all the love in the world and our positivity will be with you from now and for always. 😘😘

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Karen, there are no words. My heart goes out to you all and my prayers and love are with you xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A huge day for you all. These choices feel like no choice and yet as you say for Immigrant it seems to be path to take. Praying for you all as you wait and wrestle with this, that the op goes even better than expected and that the consequences for Immi are as minimal as possible but the benefit is on maximum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen I cannot begin to image what you are going through but has a parent can relate to your sense of helplessness and need to protect your child. But what I can share is that when I went for my neuro surgery (which I can't compare to Immi's surgery) when the surgeon read out the disclaimer which I had to sign, risk of losing sight,speech, hearing, mobility, etc, I knew that I was going to make it through whatever the outcome. On the following Sunday, in my bed, I was wheeled into the chapel at my request! The communion service was in full flow which I was able to participate, then we sang the song (well I listened) 'father I placed into your hands the things I cannot do', I believe that our God is greater than anything we have to handle in this life. I hope you find strength from my testimony and I will continue to pray for Immi and you all as you prepare for this next stage of her recovery to the life she has before her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure why it said unknown but it is Malcolm!

    ReplyDelete