Monday 21 July 2014

What a change in just a few days!

Blogging today about something I don't really understand, but seems to be amazing. 
 We recieved Skylar 10 days ago now and he has settld in so well.  We have taken him all over the place; to church, to parties, to the train station, shops, parks etc. and he has coped so well every where.  He really is an amazing little puppy.  But even more amazing than that is the effect he has had on Imogen.  

All of us love him and enjoy being with him, but for Immi there has been a profound effect.  The day he arrived she had two seizures and they were the last she has had!  No seizures for 10 days now!!! This is unheard of, and totally amazing.  There have been a couple of other changes happening at the same time; we are slowly putting carbs back in her diet, and we upped one of her meds back up a little. But both of these changes have been in place before and have had no effect at all. In fact we have a new set of meds sitting on the shelf ready to try but I am holding off as we may not need them! I am apprehensive as I write this.  Can a dog really bring this big a change? Is this just coincidence? What on earth is going on? My science side is trying to work out, can the sensory side of stroking and being with the dog really have such an effect on her brain activity that is is not triggering the synapses and activity that caused the seizures before?  I don't understand this at all, all I know is that we have been praying for a miracle and I am tentatively wondering if that miracle has arrived.  I am kind of emotional and kind of numb and not quite believing yet, but I wanted to share with so many of you that have been sharing (and praying) our journey with us.


 Another change in Immi is that she NEVER sleeps in the car, she just can't. The other day we came home from the park, only a 10 minute drive.  The dog fell asleep with his head on her lap and by the time we were home she too was asleep in the back of the car! Murray and I just stated dumbfounded at each other!

Skylar is also earning his keep already in helping Immi with her behaviour.  Yesterday, we went for a walk and Jed carried Immis scooter up the hill for her.  He asked if he could have a go but she snapped 'no!' I left and I pointed put that he had helped her and she wasn't being fair, so she shouted after Jed, who by this time was at the car and no longer wanted a go.  This instigated a total meltdown.  She stopped, sat down, cried, wailed, lamented, full on, no negotiating, Immi tantrum. Normally I went through my arsenal of negotiating weaponry; bribery, threats, pleading, shouting, etc etc. and at this point would normally give up.  But this time I was suddenly struck that this was why we had Skylar.  I went and got Skylar from the car and walked him back with me.  He asked straight up to Immi and buried his head under her arm.  She immediately, stroked and hugged him.  I gave her  the lead and they walked together, Skylar walking perfectly to heel, back to the car.

Another area he helps at already is at wake up time.  Immi struggles to wake and if I wake her she is awful, grumpy, snappy and totally reasonable, often refusing to go to school, take meds etc. (I know some of you maybe saying, well my son/daughter is just like that, but for hose of you that know Immi will know that this is on a different scale!)  Now however, Skylar wakes her and she wakes up happy every time, without fail! Amazing!

There is a part of me that is worried that with these declarations everything will go wrong today, and  her seizures will start up again, but I just feel this news is too big not to share!

5 comments:

  1. That is so encouraging. Thanks for sharing. Will keep praying that things keep moving in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow how exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such amazing news! I cried again reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Believe! We are trusting this is the miracle we have all been praying for!

    ReplyDelete